Gospel Students teaches the gospel about Jesus Christ, as we study the Bible.
The momentous news of the gospel is that God has reconciled us to himself through the Lord Jesus Christ. We are persuaded that the Lord Jesus Christ’s death was on our behalf, to bring us peace with God. Through submission to Jesus Christ, we pass from rebellion against God, into eternal fellowship with him.
How could you summarise this teaching? We teach the core truths of the Christian faith:
- Bible: The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture as originally given and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- Father, Son & Holy Spirit: The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- Rebellion & Judgement: The universal sinfulness and guilt of humanity since the fall, rendering men and women subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
- Jesus Christ: The conception of Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit and his birth by the virgin Mary.
- Forgiveness: Redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only through the sacrificial death, as our representative and substitute, of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God.
- Resurrection: The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
- Repentance & Faith: The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Christ effective in the individual sinner, granting him or her repentance towards God, and faith in Jesus Christ.
- Holy Spirit: The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- Jesus Christ’s Return: The expectation of the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Within the Australian Fellowship of Evangelical Students, this 9 point summary is known as our Doctrinal Basis.